Originally built in 1942, taking only 20 months to complete, Concord Repatriation Hospital catered for vast numbers of defence service personnel. An important feature of the design was the creation of a central lawn courtyard.
Concord Repatriation General Hospital was constructed in 1942 to facilitate an urgently required hospital for those wounded while serving in the defence forces. The group of multi-storey hospital buildings on site were designed by the prominent hospital architects, Stephenson and Turner in the Inter-War Functionalist style. These buildings went on to win the Sulman Award in 1942. Concord Repatriation General Hospital holds a pivotal place both in the development of Australian Modernism and the advancement of Australian health.
Extent were commissioned to review the 1999 Conservation Management Plan for the site. This was in response to a development plan for the hospital which would impact the core Stephenson & Turner buildings. Tasks included:
Identify gaps in the 1999 Conservation Management Plan
Identify potential impacts of heritage listed assets/sites within the project site
Update the Concord Hospital CMP on relevant heritage information
Confirm works to be undertaken on significant items
US/ICOMOS is pleased to announce the call for applications for participants in the 2018 International Exchange Program (IEP).
US/ICOMOS is seeking graduate students and those new to the heritage prof...
In January 2016 AHMS and Futurepast Heritage merged to form Extent Heritage. EXTENT offers the most comprehensive range of built heritage, archaeology and Aboriginal heritage services available within the Australian and Asia Pacific region.